Assistance for your eyes
At Allergan, eye drops are packed at the rate of 500 products per minute.
A vial containing the light-sensitive eye fluid product is hermetically packaged in a plastic tray.
Another vial of non-prescription product is packaged in a folding box in which it will later be presented on the shelf.
Different products - one machine
Both packaging varieties, plastic trays and folding boxes, can be handled on one and the same packaging line with minimal changeover.
The process is as follows:
- Feed the vials as 5-strips into cassettes
- Unload the cassettes and read each individual strip with a 2-D matrix coder
- Unload the plastic trays or erect the folding box from flat blank
- Load the strips of vials into either the trays or the folding boxes
- Insert a leaflet
- Close the folding box
- Hermetically seal the filled plastic trays with aluminium foil
- Apply a leaflet
- Apply a lid pre-labelled with batch-data
- Package the finished units into a wrapping machine
- Check for completeness using weight scales
- Group the folding boxes and insert them into erected trays or
- Group the plastic trays and insert them into erected American folding cases, close and seal them with a tape